Thursday, December 17, 2015

Just keep swimming


I have used these instructions of how to escape a rip current, as an analogy, many times, to describe how to get out of an emotional storm (current):

Keep calm. …

To get out of the (emotional storm) rip current, (go about your day alongside your emotions-not in) swim sideways (not into), parallel to (what you know to be true) the beach.

When out of the (emotional storm) rip current, swim at an angle (angle suggests a gradual return) away from the (storm) current and toward (your solid footing) shore.

If you can't escape this way, try to float or calmly tread water (and call for help).

If you fight a rip current, you will most likely drown. Not too many are strong enough to thwart that force.

Emotional storms can be pretty damn strong. It is not always easy to navigate this type of current either. 

I can spend so much energy judging every thought, feeling and emotion that I feel like I am going to drown.

I can remind myself that this too shall pass. Thoughts, feelings, and emotions change all the time. The more I fight with myself and analyze why I’m thinking, or feeling A,B, or C, the more exhausted my thought process becomes.

When the waves of overwhelming emotions start to drag me out to sea…

Keep calm…
walk alongside my emotions until there is a break, then
head back to my steady shore of truth.

But, if for some reason that does not work,
live life as best you can, and call for help. 


Never, never, never stop treading water.

I have missed writing. I hate (ok, well, not hate, exactly) that I seem to need to feel kinda shitty to do this. Things are not too shitty, so I'm glad I haven't waited until I'm knee deep to share!!

No comments:

Post a Comment